Lawn Aeration: What it is and Why You Should Be Doing it.
Everyone wants a perfect that stays lush and green all summer. Besides the basics of watering, fertilizing, and mowing your lawn, it’s vital for nutrients to reach the soil underneath the grass. Lawn aeration in Tulsa is essential for your lawn to stay healthy as it will allow air and water to penetrate grass.
What is Aeration and How Does it Help
Aeration is pretty straight-forward. It perforates the lawn by making small holes to allow necessary nutrients to penetrate the roots of the lawn. This promotes roots to grow deeper which in turn produces a much stronger lawn. Aerating soil also alleviates soil compaction. This means soil has too many particles in one place which prevents proper circulation of nutrients.
Reason to Aerate Your Lawn
- It sees heavy traffic like kids and animals running around.
- Was part of a new home recently constructed. A lot of times, this soil has been compacted due to construction equipment.
- If your lawn dries out quickly and feels a bit spongy, you may have a thatch problem, which means aeration is necessary.
- Soil layering by sod can disrupt drainage of water as the sod’s finer soil will hold it. This can lead to poor root development. Aeration will break this up so water can flow easily to the roots.
When it comes time to aerate your lawn, do it during the growing season. This will help the grass heal faster. If you have a cool-season lawn, early spring or fall is best and late spring for warm-season grasses. Whether Tulsa or landscaping Broken Arrow, OK area, having the right tools for the job is essential. You can use a spike aerator or a plug aerator. A spike aerator is done by poking holes in the ground while plug aerators remove a plug of grass from the soil. The plug aerator is the best overall tool for the job.
How to Aerate the Lawn
- Make sure soil is wet enough. The day after a rain shower or watering your lawn is perfect.
- Aeration machines only cover a small area at a time, so you may have to make a few passes over a compacted area.
- Allow the plugs to dry and then break them up to keep your lawn looking clean.
- After you’re done, keep practicing basic lawn care practices like mowing and watering.
Depending on the size of your yard and whether or not you have the tools, doing it yourself may not be something you can do. You may not have the time or lack the equipment needed. Hiring an outside service is a great way to get the job done for a decent cost, so your free time is spent with family or friends. Tulsa Lawn Care Services has been taking care of lawns for businesses and residential alike and has the professional know-how and equipment needed to get the job done. They are well-versed in what needs done and help you keep a well-maintained lawn.